Tutorial: Upgrading the software in your Multifunction Display (MFD)
This FAQ relates to the following products:
a Series - a65, a67
c Series - c95, c97, c125. c127.
e Series - e7, e7D, e95, e97, e125, e127, e165
gS Series - gS95, gS125, gS165
A Series - A50, A50D, A57, A57D, A70, A70D
C Series Classic - C70, C80, C120
E Series Classic - E80, E120
C Series Wide - C90w, C120w, C140w
E Series Wide - E90w, E120w, E140w
The following procedure addresses how one would populate a Flash memory card (Compact Flash/mSD) with software update files for the Multifunction Display (MFD) and then use this Flash memory card to update the MFD's software. Please note that product software updates may revert some MFD configuration settings back to the MFD's default settings. As such, it is recommended that customers make note of the MFD's configuration settings so that they may be used to reconfigure the MFD's settings after the MFD's software has been updated.
Populating a Flash Memory Card (Compact Flash/mSD) with the MFD Software
Note: microSD memory cards used with a/c/e/gS Series MFDs should have a memory capacity of no less than 512MB and no more than 32GB. CompactFlash cards should not exceed 128MB in size. If you are unable to obtain this size of card then you can try a card up to 2GB Max CF card at your own risk as early C and E Classic displays may have issues with CF cards larger than 128MB. In this instance we would recommend contacting your local Raymarine agent for them to perform the update.
Note: To avoid potentially corrupting the data on your chart card, DO NOT copy software update files to your chart card and DO NOT back up waypoint/route/track data to your chart card. MicroSD cards are commonly available in most stores selling consumer electronics products. Waypoint, route, track data, and system configuration data can be stored on a microSD memory card which also contains software update files.
- Insert a compatible Flash memory card into the computer's memory card reader or into a memory card reader which has been interfaced to the computer.
- Select the appropriate software download for your product from HERE
- Upon completion of the download, click on the downloaded file to open it
- Copy all files to the Root of the Flash card (Root is the first level you access when selecting the Flash). Make sure the files are not in any folders on the card (See video below for examples. Files will vary depending on update)
For example, if your computer has assigned Removable Disk (E:) to your memory card reader/writer, then the software update files should be copied directly to Removable Disk (E:), not to any folders created on the memory card.
Note: You are only opening the ZIP file that is downloaded. You cannot open the files contained in the ZIP file, these have extensions such as .dob .pkg .sh .sh.sig with various file names. If you attempt to open these files you will see an error as they are designed to update your Raymarine products and not for use in a Windows, Apple or Linux PC.
- Remove the memory card from the computer's memory card reader.
|Populating the card via a Windows Machine
||Populating the card via a Apple Machine
Backing Up Your Waypoints, Routes and Tracks
It will be necessary to reset the MFD as the final step in the process of updating it. This procedure WILL erase any of the waypoints, routes and tracks that are currently stored within the MFD.
To backup your data using a A Series, C Series Classic/Wide, E Series Classic/Wide or G Series, please follow the steps outlined HERE
To backup your waypoint/route/tracks data using a a, c, e or gS Series MFD please follow the steps outlined HERE
To backup your configuration/settings data using a a, c, e or gS Series MFD please follow the steps outlined HERE
The steps for restoring this data to the MFD are also contained in this same FAQ.
Note: one may use a single Flash memory card to both backing up the data within one’s MFD as well as for performing the software update. When using this Flash memory card for backing up the data within one’s MFD, be certain to not insert the memory card into the MFD’s memory card reader/writer until the MFD has been powered up and has completed its startup initialization.
Updating the MFD Software
The next stage is to update your MFD. Please choose the appropriate instructions below depending on what MFD you are using to perform the update. This update must be performed on all connected MFD's in the system. If there is connected MFDs in the system with different software versions you may experience spurious issues.
Note: Software updates do not have to be performed sequentially unless stated. It is fine to update from version 2.00 to version 5.00 and miss both version 3.00 and 4.00 if you have not previously installed them. All necessary information for the units to operate are included in the latest update.
IMPORTANT TERMS OF DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE
This firmware update process is done at your own risk. Before initiating the update process be sure to backup and make copies of all important files.
If the firmware process is interrupted your product may not function properly, therefore do not interrupt the process and ensure the unit is on a reliable power supply. Damage caused by incomplete upgrades will not be covered by Raymarine warranty.
By Downloading the software, you agree to these terms.
Updating the a, c, e or gS Series MFD Software
- Power OFF the MFD.
- Insert the mSD card containing the software update files into the MFD’s memory card reader.
- Power ON the MFD.
- Wait until the screen notifies you that the software update has completed (this can take time, DO NOT power down the display during this procedure) and remove the mSD card.
- Reboot the unit (c/e Series will do automatically, a/gS Series you need to turn power off to the display)
- At this point, if you have additional MFD's or any accessories that are eligible to be updated, you will be prompted to update these too. Follow the onscreen instructions
- Once all the devices in the system are updated, please verify that this is correct by going to the following screen:
- The MFD's software version may be verified via the command sequence [Home screen] Setup > Maintenance> Diagnostics > Select Device
IMPORTANT RESET INFORMATION
Historically, the Raymarine Technical Support teams have encouraged users to perform the power-on reset (also, known as factory reset, hard reset or master reset) on the Multifunction display products after a software upgrade. This nature of reset is not deemed necessary when upgrading with the Lighthouse II Release 11.xx software.
However, should you feel there is any reason to perform a reset, you should only have to perform the “Settings Reset” within the menu (Set-Up / Maintenance / System Settings Reset). This will retain the waypoints/ routes & tracks in the unit. The “Power-on Reset” should only be required if the MFD will not boot correctly
CP300 / CP450C owners
If you also have a CP300 or a CP450C and you want to take advantage of all the features in the latest SONAR software, then you will also need to upgrade your sonar module. You can download a detailed flow diagram here
that will guide you through the steps or alternatively, please contact your local Raymarine dealer
Updating the A Series, C Series Classic/Wide, E Series Classic/Wide MFD's Software
- Power OFF the MFD.
- Insert the CF memory card containing the software update files into the MFD’s memory card reader.
- Power ON the MFD.
- After the MFD has booted to its Raymarine Software Upgrade Utility screen, select the software upgrade package from the Upgrade Packages Available list.
- Press the UPGRADE THIS UNIT function key.
- When the progress indicator's Overall bar reaches 100%, the MFD's software will have been upgraded.
- Remove the CF memory card from the MFD's memory card reader.
- Press MFD's red power button to power OFF the MFD.
- Press and hold the first (Left Hand) softkey on the MFD. Keeping the softkey held down, press the red power button to power ON the MFD. This will perform a reset of the unit. Do not skip this step.
The unit will notify you that the reset has completed after the count down by a beep. You can now release the softkey.
Note: C Wide and E Wide displays differ to the above and will take you to a menu screen to perform the reset. Select the Reset option in this menu and wait until it completes and then reboot the display.
- Verify that the MFD's software has been updated.
Restore your Waypoints, Routes and Tracks using the instructions HERE
- The MFD's software version may be verified via the command sequence MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->SOFTWARE SERVICES->UNIT INFO; Inspect the item labeled APP VERSION